9. 1922 - 1927

James J. O’Kane was selected as patrolman to bring the force up to full strength of fourteen men in November 1922. At this time Mayor George Lewis recommended that the Police Department be under the Board of Fire Commissioners and to increase the department from fourteen to eighteen men. Jacob Andres was promoted to the rank of sergeant on December 1, 1922. James O’Kane resigned in the same month and was replaced by Glenn D. Sheldon on January 1, 1923.

A proposed amendment to the City Charter was recommended in January 1923 and submitted for popular vote. The amendment created a Board of Police Commissioners. It was so elected by the people to have such an amendment in the charter. Mayor Lewis appointed Clarence R. Snyder for one year, George J. Burke for two years and John E. Swisher for three years as the first Police Commission on May 7, 1923.

Charles Splitt left the force in April and was replaced by Thomas (Tim) Fohey. Glenn Sheldon resigned and Norman Ballard replaced him in May. Tim Fohey was the last member to be appointed by a mayor while Ballard was the first to be appointed by the commission. Clyde Apple also joined the department in the same month bringing the personnel up to a total of fifteen men.

Arnold Busch was the sixteenth member, being appointed in July 1923. Norman E. Cook also joined the department in the same month and Sherman Mortenson the following month, replacing Clyde Apple and John Osborne. Osborne left to join the Sheriff’s Department. Harold Herzog and Frank Blakely were appointed in September 1923, increasing the force to eighteen men.

The Police Commission requested the Council to grant permission for their body to purchase a Ford car to be used in patrolling outlying districts. This action was approved in October but the new car was not made available for some time. However, the first scout car patrol was started with Sherman Mortenson driving a Model T Ford Coupe that had been confiscated from a bootlegger. The car was better than half worn-out when the department acquired it and it did not take very long to finish the job of wearing it out as it was driven 100 miles or more every night. Scout car patrol was only during the nighttime. Meanwhile Norman Cook was assigned to a motorcycle.

Frank Keihl was promoted to the rank of detective in 1923 and later, in December of the same year, promoted to detective-sergeant. Frank Blakely left in December, Clyde Orrison replacing him in February 1924. Lewis Fohey was promoted to the rank of sergeant replacing Sergeant Jacob Andres who resigned to go to the Sheriff’s Department. Albert Heusel was appointed patrolman March 15, 1924 to fill the vacancy and Erwin Keebler replaced Joseph Gast who resigned on April 21, 1924.

Clarence Snyder was renamed to the Board of Police Commissioners in May 1924. Harold Gee was appointed to replace Clyde Orrison who left, Gee going on duty May 5 [1924].

In June, the Police Commission requested that a patrolman be added during the vacation periods. The request was granted and Louis Stackable received the appointment. Harold Herzog left in September and Stackable remained as a regular patrolman. Norman Ballard and Louis Stackable resigned January 15, 1925, Clifford Canfield and Frank Andrews replacing them. Benjamin Ball was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Clifford Canfield on April 1 [1925].

George Burke was reappointed to the Police Commission on May 4, 1925 by Mayor Robert Campbell. George Randel resigned from the force in May and was replaced by Harry Smith, a former deputy sheriff, and was given the rank of detective. Roland Wooster was added to the force on June 15, 1925 bringing the number of men in the department to nineteen. Herman Suma replaced Tim Fohey who left on August 15th. Frank Andrews also left in August and Carl Arnold left the following month. Oscar Wier [Weir]7was appointed to fill one vacancy and started on duty September 8, 1925. Arnold Busch resigned in April 1926 and Tim Fohey returned to the department replacing Busch.

Joseph L. Arnet was appointed to the Police Commission to replace John E. Swisher on May 3, 1926. On that date also, the Police Commission requested that a sergeant be named and two additional patrolmen appointed. The Council acted favorably to this request. Jacob Andres was reappointed to the service filling an existing vacancy, and two new members, Clifford West and Julius Ehnis were appointed on May 17, 1926, to fill the vacancies caused by William Aprill and Edward Blumhardt leaving the department. Norman Cook was promoted to the rank of sergeant on May 15, 1926. Albert Heusel left July 1st to enter service in the Fire Department, he was succeeded by Walter Schmid.

Salaries were increased to $157.00 a month for patrolmen on July 1, 1926. Also, Frank Kiehl [Keihl] was made a lieutenant on this date. William C. Marx was appointed on July 15, 1926 and Arnold Busch returned to the service October 1st, bringing the force up to twenty-one men. George W. Kyer replaced Clarence Snyder on the Police Commission in October 1926. Commissioner Snyder resigned as he moved from the city. Frank DeVine replaced George Burke who resigned in January 1927.

Albert Heusel returned to the department January 15, 1927 to fill one of two vacancies caused by the resignations of Jacob Andres and Clifford West, who left to join the Sheriff’s Department. John Osborn, another former officer, returned to fill the other vacancy. William L. Dawson was named Commissioner by Mayor Staebler in 1927.